Thursday, January 26, 2012

Memory of the week.

One of the places in the world that is very close to my heart is London's Victoria and Albert Museum. 

















Say what you want, it's touristy and whatever, but it's also beautiful, welcoming and atmospheric. I think the whole thing is just such an incredibly accidental work of art. There is nothing sterile or posh or classist about the V&A, it's much too ostentatious and tries with every staircase and doorway to entertain its patrons in this ridiculous mess of styles, periods and concepts. I don't know if real Londoners go to the V&A, but if I lived there I'd go all the time; go just to go. It's such a wonderful celebration of Britishness.

I also love the whole idea of the museum being a tribute to Victoria and Albert, who represent so many things that are good about Britain; progressiveness, vision etc, and also a tribute to the love they shared and the impact that had on the country at the time. I mean, that's just nice.

It is, of course, one of the world's most comprehensive museums it its own right, but that fact alone will bore those who want to experience realness when visiting a country because museums are not "realness" unless we're talking about the trendy ones, and Brits don't do trendy when it comes to these kinds of things. But if you want to see Britishness at its best - self-aware and clever but also proud and serious about it - go to the V&A. At the very least it will explain why I'm obsessed with William Morris and the Madejski Garden Kiosk's pumpkin soup. 


No comments:

Post a Comment